Monday, 18 October 2010

Vertical and horizontal frames - part 1

Part one of the vertical and horizontal frames exercise required me to shoot twenty frames in portrait mode. I reviewed my growing list of locations and set out initially for the sea front of the town where I live. When I arrived there wasn't much going on and the sun was high in the sky causing some very harsh shadows. I got back in the car and headed for location two, the town of Arundel which is not too far away.

The sun was still fairly high in the sky but I spent a pleasant few hours in the town centre photographing the old buildings and alley ways. Below are the twenty frames I selected. These locations will be revisited for a re-shoot in landscape mode.

As the exercise suggested, I did find myself looking for upright objects to shoot. In some situations the portrait mode was not the most suitable orientation resulting in large empty areas in the foreground. Sometimes this space was not easy to fill with something of interest. There are a couple of pictures in the collage above where this is the case, namely the white house on the corner (picture 11) and the large expanse of water in the image with the boats (picture 15).