Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Positioning a point

For this exercise I was required to take three images with a single point in the frame. In these images there should be a reason for positioning the point where I do.

Bicycles
The first photograph is of some bicycles left parked on  the local beach. The cycles have been placed just left of centre about half way up the frame. The reason for this framing is the relationship between the bikes and the other very graphic lines in this shot. The balance is achieved through the point of the wood decking on the right and the bikes on the left. At the same time the bikes stand out as being the most 'irregular' shapes and darkest objects in the frame.

 When we draw a horizontal and vertical line through our point we are able to see that the point implies division. In this particular shot I have also drawn a line through the balancing element. Here we can see that the frame has been 'divided' into three vertical strips, each almost a third of the frame wide.



Life belt
The life belt shot has the point placed near the left hand edge of the frame. The reason for positioning it here, is to balance the bold, eye-catching orange of the life belt with the larger and less dominant building on the right of the frame.

There is also a feeling of 'high' and 'low' or 'diagonally opposite' in the relationship between the left and the right of the frame.

The final photograph of the chap walking along the sea front has him placed just right of centre. The reasoning behind this is to give some space in front of the character, for him to move into. I admit it's not the most interesting of shots!




Old man
All three shots go some way to showing 'movement' and 'division'. In particular I think the image of the life belt shows movement very well. I believe that the colour has also a big part to play in attracting the eye in the first place. This is interesting as there is also a strong diagonal running in from the right of the frame - I think the life belt wins and gets the eye's attention!

I think the bicycle shot is a good example of 'division' within the frame.