Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Alfred Stieglitz

One of the images I submitted for the last assignment was of a sunset (without the sun). My tutor mentioned in the assignment comments that I should take a look at the 'Equivalent' series by Alfred Stieglitz. Subsequently I researched him on the internet and viewed a video about him on You-tube.

I was surprised to find that his 'Equivalent' series is referred to as possibly some of the first deliberately created abstract images. Alfred photographed these from 1922 on into the thirties. The cloud masses represent the inner states of the soul but I have also read that Alfred wanted to present the viewer with images without any subject matter, to test how good a photographer he was.

The variety and tones in the images is fantastic and it is easy to identify (or imagine) various inner states from the patterns.

The image my tutor was referring to is posted below.



It strikes me that this is a subject that could be picked up as a project and still produce varied and different results.

A Google search found examples of these images here.