Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Assignment 3: Colour - Reflection

After my feedback from assignment three, I have tried to incorperate some of the suggestions made by the tutor. It has not been possible to re-photograph all of the shots but i have been able to make some of the changes in Photoshop to be able to visualise the differences.

Complementary 1

Original Image
It was suggested that the first image of the posts would benefit from the front pot being closer to the front of the frame to make it the main subject. The many specular highlights were pointed out and these could have been avoided with a more diffuse light source.

Using cropping and a little cloning I have attempted to address these issues in the second photograph.





Complementary 3
The original image of the red shoes was found simple but effective and required no re-working. The tutor did suggest trying a more abstract version as well so here it is!


Complementary 4
The photograph of the bananas on the violet background was found too busy. Again I have re-cropped this image making it more abstract. Although there are still some undulations in the cloth, they now follow a similar shape to the bananas and I think this works quite well. The colour contrast also seems more 'contrasty' in this limited view.

Original



Edited
Similar 1
The flower at the bottom of the frame was cut in half on the original shot. I have cropped the shot to show just the main focus of the image and loose the distracting bottom part.

Original


Edited


Similar 3
The combination of blue/green worked fairly well. The tutor thought that the tree was a little heavy and could do with some lightening. I used the dodge tool in Photoshop to gently lighten the tree.

Original


Edited


Contrast 2
The side of the boat shot was again found to be ok but seemed a little light on the screen. I have taken the original shot and using the levels control in Photoshop, have added more black. It has given the image much more punch. I am pretty annoyed with myself for not spotting this earlier!

Original


Edited


Contrast 4
The tutor commented on the main point of focal interest being lost in the busyness of the leaves. I can now see that clearly. As it is not possible to re-take this image now, I have used Photoshop to try and mimic a suggested solution i.e. using a shallower depth of field. Here is the result. Unfortunately this hasn't really worked at all and this could do with being re-photographed.

Original


Edited

Accent 2
The accent image of the ireses suffers from a similar problem to the contrast shot above. Unfortunately the irises aren't out any more to redo this shot, and that is what is required. A valuable lesson here seems to be that violet also does not stand out well from green.

Original


Accent 3
For the final correction I was asked if I had a shot where the red hoody was in focus. Unfortunately I don't but the other tutor comment was about the old gentleman's shadow being cropped out of the frame. This I can correct and the modified version can be seen below.

Original


Edited