Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Photographing movement: Panning with different shutter speeds

Panning at various shutter speeds.
Following on from the previous exercise, I took the camera off of the tripod. Here we are going to follow the movement of the cars using different shutter speeds.

On the same stretch of road I started with a shutter speed of 1/800 and took shots panning with the cars and changing the shutter speed until I reached 1/5 of a second.

The first clear signs of background blurring appear at 1/320 although background blur is present if you look very closely at the 1/500 shot. The background gets progressively more blurred until we get to around 1/60. Form here the background starts to streak and become less identifiable for what it is and more abstract with every shot. Of course, there can be a variation in the blur at a set shutter speed, depending on the speed of the car.

Note that the wheels of the cars are starting to blur up at approximately the same shutter speed as in the previous exercise.This is around the 1/200 - 1/250 mark. Also worthy of note is that at 1/15 and slower, I have reached the maximum aperture value of F22 and the images become over exposed again. Additionally, I have started to have trouble panning at the right speed to keep the cars sharp.

My favourite images from the last two exercises

From the shutter speed exercise, this is my favourite. The car is just becoming blurred with the wheels more so. There are also other elements that appeal to me. I like the silver against the darker background and the shape of the car itself is very dynamic and in keeping with what this picture is portraying - motion and forward movement at speed.



The panning image I like best is this one. The red of the car again stands out against the background and the background blur is conveying the right amount of motion. The vehicle wheels are showing a good deal of rotation indicated by the blur and the car is nice and sharp.

After this I really like the abstract shots where the car is really blurred but didn't choose them due to the over-exposure issue.