Sunday, 19 December 2010

Diagonals

The following four photos use diagonals. The first is similar to the 'Shaker Meeting House' image in the book, taken using a 17mm wide angle lens and displaying converging lines - including the implied converging lines in the cloud formations.
All the shots were taken on a trip down my local sea front. I found that most of the diagonals were not natural but rather caused by the way the photograph was taken. 
Some of the diagonals were stronger than others. See the shot below of the breakwater. It is the contrast with its surroundings that is making this diagonal stand out. Compare this with the shot above. The diagonal is there but is more 'implied' as there are a fair few elements that give the shot its 'motion'.
The final shot was my least successful. The diagonal runs from left bottom left to (almost) top right. Looking at this now I notice the eye is drawn more first by the telescope and then by the dark breakwaters behind.
One of the comments in my tutor feedback after assignment one was that I may wish to leave a little more space around my images on the blog. I have now adopted this new way of posting my images to give each one a little more 'focus'.