Sunday, 4 December 2011

Assignment 5: Applying the techniques of illustration and narrative.

It had been my intention to use a sixties style photo shoot I was planning as the basis for this assignment but on then day circumstances didn't quite work out as planned. As my deadline is looming I have had to fall back on my original idea, which was the coverage of a ploughing match.

Chichester Ploughing Match - research
The Chichester Ploughing Match takes place on the last Sunday of October every year in fields just outside Chichester, West Sussex. Although this is a competition, the match is just as much about keeping the skill of ploughing alive. The competition is judged on the ploughman's ability to cut straight and tidy furrows.

Photographically there should be variety in the types of machines attending, from the old to the new. I will also be on the lookout for some good  'farmer folk' onlookers. I am expecting a prize giving at the end of the day, so some shots of the winner would be good.

The publication
First, here is the publication I created.








Conclusions
This turned into a challenging exercise for me. This had been my original idea but I had abandoned it once due to the weather on the day not being very good. What this meant in real terms is that there wasn't much of a crowd of on-lookers and I was unable to stay for the final judging announcements. After my second choice also fell apart I returned to this project and found I was able to look at it in a new light. I still do not have images of onlookers or the final judges announcements but I think I am still able to get the story across. Admittedly some  nicer weather would have provided for nicer images.

If I were to do this exercise again I think I would try and find a much bigger event, provided such an event is available of course. If the event went on into the evening or even covered several days, so much the better.

The images
Cover image: 1/80, ISO400, F8 -2/3EC 84mm
Page 1: 1/13, ISO400, F22, 60mm
Page 2 top: 1/40, ISO160, F5.6 -2/3EC, 47mm
Page 2 bottom: 1/50, ISO100, F8 -2/3EC, 58mm
Page 3 top: 1/125, ISO100, F4 -2/3EC, 32mm
Page 3 bottom: 1/15, ISO400, F22, 45mm
Page 4 top: 1/160, ISO100, F4 -1/3EC, 58mm
Page 4 middle: 1/640, ISO100,F4 -2/3EC, 102mm
Page 4 bottom: 1/250, ISO100, F4 -1/3EC, 105mm
Page 5 top: 1/250, ISO100, F4 -1EC, 84mm
Page 5 bottom: 1/60, ISO160, F5.6 -2/3EC, 55mm
Page 6: 1/100, ISO100, F4 -1/3EC, 65mm
Page 7 top: 1/30, ISO100, F8 -2/3EC, 40mm
Page 7 middle: 1/100, ISO1000, F8 -2/3EC, 105mm
Page 7 bottom: 1/50, ISO200, F8 -2/3EC, 55mm