Saturday, 29 January 2011

Assignment 2: Elements of design

Assignment two revolves around implementing the design elements we have learnt so far throughout this chapter. To consolidate this experience we have been asked to take one subject and create images reflecting the elements we have covered.

Initial plan
My initial idea was to photograph 'street details', one of the suggestions in the book. I went about this task and did indeed create a number of images of street details.Stepping through them in my RAW converter I noticed a few images from the previous horizontal lines exercise. These had been taken at a nearby multi storey car park. Every time I park there it seems to be crying out to be photographed! This called for a re-visit!

To cut a long story short, I spent two or three hours in total plodding around the levels of the car park and redid this project. I must have looked very strange to any body that saw me. Never mind, I found this a thoroughly enjoyable exercise! Most of the shots (but not all) were taken on the top level to get better light. I also took most of the photographs using prime lenses rather than zoom's. This is for no other reason than a self imposed exercise.

Single point dominating the composition
I have included three images where a single point dominates the composition. All three images were taken with a tripod mounted camera. On the first two, the Samaritans poster and the drain, I have used a depth of field of F8 to try and keep everything in focus. The final image of the sticker on the railing uses F2 to throw the distracting background out of focus.



'Need to talk?'. The wall may seem a little distorted here - but on checking, this is how it is. I did wonder if the poster my be a little too large to be a point but it does draw the eye. Also, if I had moved further back it would have included a lot of distracting elements that are not visible in this view. As I was (am) not totally happy with this I have included some more 'point' shots.



'Drain'. I played around with this for a while wondering if I should include the yellow stripe. In the end I kept it in although I apreciate it does compete a little with the drain. I think the drain is still strong enough to stand out  as a point though.
Note* Maybe the drain could do with a little delicate burning in to strengthen it over the line.













'Puddsy'. What can I say - there he is! F2 to keep the background out of focus as this included the street below. I tend not to manipulate my images very much but looking at this now, I think the sticker could do with the colours enhancing just a little to make it 'pop' out form the background a bit more.

Two points
This shot is hand held as it was on the ramp for cars to get to the next layer. I was reluctant to set up my tripod here. For this reason the aperture is F2 as it is dominated by the shutter speed which I wanted to get as fast as possible to avoid camera shake. Of all the elements that caused me difficulty, two points was one. It would have been nicer to find two smaller points.









Several points in a deliberate shape
Two images for this element. The first is the signs and pay machine, although whether the pay machine is deliberately placed in relation to the signs is debatable. The signs themselves have been placed one above the other on each level of the car park, indicating a deliberate placement.



For a second shot of the same effect, I have included the doors. The windows and areas for the handles are the deliberately arranged points in this image.
Note* I have just noticed that the silver edge of the window and the silver handle result in an 'un-resolved' image, causing the eye to keep switching from one to the other - or is that my imagination?



A combination of vertical & horizontal lines
A combination of horizontal and vertical lines marking out the parking spaces on the car park floor. Tripod mounted camera at F11 to get maximum depth of field. I rarely shoot more than F11 - maybe I should?







Diagonals
First a simple shot for diagonals. The yellow lines mark a 'no parking' area. I was attracted by the yellow lines and how they contrast with the dark floor of the car park. I have let the depth of field fall off a little in this shot.



More floor markings for this second diagonal shot, I'm afraid. Here we have a mass of diagonal lines going off in every direction. I love the way there are so many lines but none are horizontal or vertical. I think the nearest it gets to horizontal is the lower leg of the wheel-chaired graphic. Tripod mounted at F11 but the image recedes due to running from light to dark.









Curves
The first image is the most obvious curve I came across. The dark diagonal line intersecting the curve adds a bit more contrast to the image, Tripod mount and F8 keeps the curve in focus. I had the same problem as in the exercise on curves in that I had trouble finding a curve with something interesting at the end of it.



A different take on the curve with this shot of a railing. Like the 'puddsy' shot above I used a large aperture to throw surrounding details out of focus.









Distinct, even if irregular shapes
I chose two images for the shapes section. The first rates as my favourite photograph from this panel. I love the yellow and white contrasting with the floor. I also like how the lines create shapes as does the negative space between them. The light, textures and colours give this image a real 'grungy' feel yet none of this has been done by post processing. This is all due to the conditions at the time the photo was taken. There is also a 'dynamic' element to this image, with the shapes and the concrete impressed lines running diagonally across the frame.



The second 'shapes' shot takes a different approach. Here I have photographed the light and shadows creating shapes on the car park wall. These shapes are more regular. I did find other shapes such as the stains on the car park floor and lichen and moss on some of the walls but didn't find the images as effective as the two I ended up choosing.









Implied triangles
I have three images of implied triangles in this shoot. The first is where two lines cross forming patterns on the ground. By placing the camera where I did, I was able to show these lines as a triangle. It is interesting to see that the floor of the car park could make a whole project of it's own!



Whilst doing this I noticed the shadow cast by my tripod. I set the camera to self timer and took the following triangle shot.

I guess the image that most lives up to the 'implied triangle' name, is this one of pebbles in the concrete floor.There is no indication of any sides at all yet we immediately see a triangle when we look at it. Again, squinting will enforce the triangular shape.









Rhythm
For my first rhythm picture I have a shot of the car park ceiling. The rhythm runs front to back although looking at this shot now I can also see a rhythm running left to right.





Pattern
For my pattern shot I could have picked a piece of the brickwork wall like in the 'point' photo but I wanted to find something else. Here is part of the car park ramp. Unfortunately it is a little irregular but the pattern still extends beyond the limits of the frame.



Conclusion
It is interesting to see that some of these shapes and forms are 'real' whereas others depend very much on the viewpoint of the photographer or viewer. A line for example, has the ability to be horizontal, vertical or diagonal simply by taking the photograph from a different angle or even just turning the camera on its side. Compare this to a curve, which pretty much stays a curve no matter how you look at it. I feel we are now starting to acquire the 'tools' we need to shape an image in the way we would like it to be percieved.

I really enjoyed this assignment and the whole 'Elements of Design' section. Some of the shapes were a little tricky to deal with but this section has noticeably changed the way I look at potential images and other artists work. I regularly find myself spotting shapes at the camera club's print competitions!

p.s. I am going to continue visiting the car park. I am sure there are many more shots to be had and I have just found out it is to be demolished in the not too distant future.