Sunday, 16 January 2011

Real and implied triangles

For this task I have produced two sets of triangular compositions using 'real' and implied triangles. To define 'real' and implied triangles in the context of this exercise, we can consider a 'real' triangle as a triangular shape with physical edges. The first image below is an excellent example. An implied triangle is a triangle hinted at by  a collection of shapes and/or patterns that our brain interprets as a triangle.

Real triangles
First a subject that is itself triangular. This was taken with my little compact camera near where I work.



The second photo shows a triangle created by perspective which converges towards the top of the frame. As a bonus, there is a little implied triangle thrown in, created by the telephone cable that enters the frame from the left!


The final 'real' triangle converges towards the bottom of the frame. This is the corner of a wooden box shot from above. The right angled corner now forms a triangle.


Implied triangles
The first implied triangle image calls for a still life arrangement made from five or six objects with the apex of the triangle at the top of the frame. This fairly straight forward pyramid arrangement produces an implied triangle. Both the following shots were tripod mounted.







Next a still life arrangement with the apex at the bottom of the frame. As I couldn't stack objects to form an inverted triangle there is a certain amount of perspective view at work here.





For the final shot in this exercise I will arrange three people so that their faces or the shape of their bodies make a triangle.....


Ok, so here it is. Three of my work colleagues (were) volunteered. There not really that miserable I just asked them not to smile after watching Martin Parr on 'How to take stunning pictures'! This was a fairly straightforward shot, hand held using the lens image stabiliser. I think the triangle is clearly visible here, even more so if you squint a little bit